How does the treatment work?
The hyperbaric chamber is filled with 100% oxygen and then pressurized to 2 to 2-1/2 times sea level pressure. This allows a high level of oxygen to enter your body. We have two chambers available where you are able to lie down comfortably.
How does it feel to be in the pressurized chamber?
The therapy does not hurt. You feel as if you are breathing normal air. The only way you would know the pressure is changing is by a popping feeling in your ears, similar to what you might feel in a descending airplane or in a car coming down a mountain. We are committed to making your treatment as comfortable and relaxing as possible.
How long will treatments take?
Most patients receive 10 to 40 hyperbaric treatments. Treatments are scheduled Monday through Friday for several weeks, depending on your individual treatment plan. Generally, patients are here for 2 to 2-1/2 hours for each treatment.
Preparing for treatment
- Avoid using deodorants, hairsprays and ointments before treatment.
- Remove hearing aids, dentures, hard contact lenses, wigs, retainers, removable dental partials, and jewelry before entering the chamber.
- You will wear a 100% cotton gown that we supply while you are in the chamber.
- If you have a cold or the flu you may not be treated in the chamber that day.
- Learn more about preparing for your treatment.
- During your treatment you will lie on a padded stretcher in the hyperbaric chamber.
- We will provide pillows and blankets to make you as comfortable as possible while in the chamber.
- The therapy does not hurt. You feel as if you are breathing normal air. The only way you would know the pressure is changing is by a popping feeling in your ears, similar to what you might feel in a descending airplane or in a car coming down a mountain. We are committed to making your treatment as comfortable and relaxing as possible. Learn techniques for clearing your ears.
- The treatment time from start to finish is approximately 2 hours.
- You can enjoy online streaming video, cable TV, recorded videos, music, or recorded books while in the chamber.
- A hyperbaric specialist will be interacting with you all the time during treatment, answering your questions and monitoring your treatment.
During your course of therapy
- We will be very involved with both you and your physician during your course of therapy.
- In general, most patients receive therapy five days a week for several weeks. This will vary according to your specific needs.
- We recommend that you take vitamin E 400 IU (international units) daily while undergoing treatment.
- If you are a wound care patient, we will also instruct you about the types of dressings and wound care products you can use during your course of therapy.