The Section of Infectious Disease and International Health consists of 12 faculty members together with over 20 additional staff, including fellows, associate providers, research technicians, nurses, computer personnel, assistants, and administrative staff. We provide clinical and teaching services, infection control and antibiotic programs, research activities, and international programs.
The Infectious Disease Fellowship at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center prepares internists for the diverse career opportunities in the field of infectious diseases.
We provide both hospital-based and outpatient consultations for the full spectrum of infectious diseases of adults and children. These include complex, chronic, unusual or antibiotic-resistant infections, HIV infection, infectious diseases of transplantation, and tropical diseases.
Our services include:
- Comprehensive Antibiotic Program (CAP): CAP provides expertise to staff physicians in the optimal use of antibiotics for inpatients and aims to reduce the emergence of antibiotic resistance. An Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Treatment (OPAT) Program provides comprehensive and expert treatment for patients receiving intravenous antibiotics as outpatients.
- Infection Control Program: Staffed by physician epidemiologists and infection control nurses, our comprehensive Infection Control Program is focused on prevention and surveillance of health care associated infections.
- Infectious disease consultations: We offer hospital-based and outpatient consultations for the full spectrum of infectious diseases of adults and children, including osteomyelitis, endocarditis, tuberculosis, M.avium infection, and Lyme disease.
- International Travel Clinics: We provide pre- and post-travel advice and immunizations in Lebanon and Concord, New Hampshire.
- Post-COVID-Syndrome Clinic: We offer a multidisciplinary approach to the evaluation and treatment of persons with persistent symptoms following recovery from acute COVID-19 – so-called "long haulers." Our team is comprised of general internists, family physicians, and subspecialists within the fields of Infectious Diseases, Pulmonary Medicine, Cardiology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Rehabilitation Medicine, and other areas of expertise.
- Regional HIV Program: We offer comprehensive multidisciplinary care to persons with HIV in Lebanon, Bedford, and Nashua, New Hampshire; and in Brattleboro, Vermont.