Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 pound (93% lean) ground turkey
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper or red pepper flakes to taste
- Finely dice the onion
- Gently combine the turkey, onion, beans and spices
- Form into 6 burgers
- Grill or sauté until done, about 10 minutes
- Serve with whole wheat pita or flatbread and cilantro tzatziki (below)
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 small cucumber, grated
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper
When you think burger, consider adding plant-based foods for a healthy burger that is easy on the budget and on the planet! Get your family involved and invent your own mix of protein, vegetables, grains and seasoning for a healthy twist on this classic.
Download a PDF of this recipe.
Find more recipes and healthy eating tips in the Cooking Up Health section of the Health and Wellness newsletter.
Learn more about the D-H Weight & Wellness Center and the D-H Pediatric Lipid and Weight Management Center.
Auden McClure, MD, MPH, is a pediatrician, chef, interim section chief of Dartmouth-Hitchcock's Weight & Wellness Center, co-director of the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Pediatric Lipid and Weight Management Center, director of Dartmouth-Hitchcock's Culinary Medicine Program and an assistant professor of Pediatrics and of Community and Family Medicine, Geisel School of Medicine, Dartmouth.