In Orthopaedic Oncology, we treat benign and malignant bone tumors and tumor-like conditions of the skeleton. We treat patients with sarcomas and other tumors of the bones, muscles, fat, nerves, and other connective tissues.
We are a primary part of the Sarcoma and Connective Tissue Oncology Program at Dartmouth Cancer Center and Dartmouth Health. Our team of expert physicians and nurses come from various oncology-related fields with special expertise in treating sarcomas and other tumors of the connective tissues.
We provide treatment for:
- Benign bone tumors: Bone tumors that are non-cancerous, including aneurysmal bone cyst, enchondroma, fibrous dysplasia, giant cell tumor of bone, hemangioma of bone, non-ossifying fibroma (fibrous cortical defect, fibroxanthoma), osteochondroma, osteoid osteoma, osteofibrous dysplasia, periosteal chondroma, and other benign bone tumors.
- Benign soft-tissue tumors: Non-cancerous soft-tissue (such as fat, muscle, nerves) tumors that include angioma, hemangioma, lipoma, leiomyoma, neurilemomma, neurofibroma, rhabdomyoma, schwannoma, synovial chondromatosis, tenosynovial giant cell tumor (previously called PVNS and giant cell tumor of tendon sheath), and other benign soft-tissue tumors.
- Bone sarcomas: Also called bone cancer, this type of condition includes osteosarcoma, Ewing’s sarcoma, chondrosarcoma, adamantinoma, fibrosarcoma of bone, and undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma of bone.
- Soft-tissue sarcomas: Cancer of the soft tissue (such as fat, muscle, nerves), including angiosarcoma, alveolar soft parts sarcoma, clear cell sarcoma, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans, epithelioid sarcoma, fibrosarcoma, hemangiopericytoma, liposarcoma, leiomyosarcoma, malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors (MPNSTs), myxofibrosarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, synovial sarcoma, undifferentiated pleomorphic sarcoma, and other soft-tissue sarcomas
Our team includes physicians with training specific to sarcomas in medical oncology, surgical oncology, orthopaedic oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, pathology, and nurses with a dedicated interest in sarcoma.
- Eric R. Henderson, MD
- Nicole Armstrong, RN
- Shannon R. Savage, MSPAS, PA-C
- Other Sarcoma Program providers
To learn more about the Sarcoma and Connective Tissue Oncology Program, please refer to the following links: