We offer diagnostic tests and procedures for treating rheumatic diseases at our locations in Concord, Keene, Lebanon, and Manchester, New Hampshire, and in Bennington, Vermont. We also offer clinics and programs and shared medical appointments at our location in Lebanon, New Hampshire.
When you come to see us, we may perform tests in order to diagnose your condition appropriately. In addition to laboratory studies and X-rays, some of the tests we perform are:
- Joint aspiration: This test may be performed when there is unexplained swelling, pain and inflammation of a joint, or suspected infection in a joint. A sample of fluid is removed from the joint with a needle and examined in the laboratory. Tests performed on joint fluid can help diagnose and treat joint-related abnormalities.
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound: A noninvasive imaging test used to diagnose a variety of problems involving joints, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Ultrasound is a safe and painless procedure in which a small transducer (probe) is placed on the skin which sends sound waves into the tissues. The sound waves then bounce back and produce an image of the structure being examined.
Our goal is to treat your rheumatic condition with the best available therapies in a timely manner in order to prevent joint damage and keep you as active as possible. Some of the primary treatments we provide include:
- Immunosuppressive therapies: Many of the medications used in Rheumatology suppress your body’s immune system. You can receive medications as oral medications, injections, or intravenous infusions.
We may prescribe medication that helps to:
- Reduce inflammation
- Relieve symptoms
- Slow the progression of some diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis
- Intra-articular (joint) injections: We give corticosteroid injections into the joint. This injection reduces pain and inflammation from conditions, such as arthritis.
Physical and occupational therapy
We refer patients to physical and occupational therapy. The support you receive helps to maintain your strength, manage pain, and stay functional. The therapy is very important for helping you with your chronic rheumatic disease.