General Surgery provides surgical diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care for diseases and conditions in the breast, digestive, and hormonal systems of the body.
Our highly trained surgeons and associate providers work within specialized divisions, and across Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics locations, to provide you with the best care.
- Have additional training and experience in particular areas—for example, specialized surgical procedures such as bariatric surgery, and conditions such as cancer
- Are involved in research and clinical trials, and are teaching students and fellows about the latest surgical advances and options in their fields of specialization
- Take an interdisciplinary approach, working together with other specialists, to offer the most advanced options and high-quality clinical care to achieve the best outcomes for patients
General Surgery divisions
- Colon and Rectal Surgery: This group provides the latest in surgical diagnosis and treatments using the full range of surgical tools from open surgeries to minimally invasive endoscopic and advanced laparoscopic surgical procedures for patients with benign and malignant disorders of the colon, rectum, and anus. We work closely with the Comprehensive Wound Healing Center on ostomy and stoma care.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery: Members of this division use laparoscopic surgical techniques to treat patients with reflux, hernias and benign gallbladder problems. They also perform a range of procedures to manage obesity and enable weight loss, including bypass and sleeve gastrectomy.
- Surgical Oncology: This team provides expert diagnosis, surgery and follow-up care for benign (non-cancerous) and malignant tumors of the breast, endocrine system, stomach and small intestine, liver, pancreas, skin, and soft tissue (sarcomas).
- Trauma and Acute Surgery: As part of a Level 1 Trauma Center, the division speeds the delivery of surgical care for patients with multisystem trauma, critical illness, and other acute surgical problems.