Our nurses are committed to life-long learning, personal and professional growth, and continuous improvement. Nursing provides a strong emphasis on orientation, in-service education, continuing education, academic education, and career development
Our Nursing Education department collaborates with subject matter experts and ancillary departments to create educational programs to meet the needs of nurses who practice in ambulatory, emergency, inpatient, perioperative and procedural care settings. Our programs are built using adult learning principles and evidence-based practice in support of patient safety and quality process improvement.
Nursing education manages our:
- Onboarding and clinical area orientation programs
- Nurse Residency Program
- Initial and ongoing competency assessment program
- Preceptor excellence program
- In-services and on-the-job learning related to changes in practice, policy, procedure and equipment.
Continuing Nursing Education
Our Nursing Continuing Education Council (NCEC) provides live and enduring continuing nursing education (CNE) activities for nurses and health care professionals throughout New England and is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
The NCEC is involved in planning, implementing and evaluating all continuing nursing education activities, including:
Center for Nursing Excellence
The Center for Nursing Excellence is a resource for all Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics nurses and employees interested in exploring careers in nursing. The Center for Nursing Excellence supports educational and professional development opportunities including:
- Academic partnerships and discounted tuition rates: We partner with top nursing schools to provide tuition discounts and support for completing clinical requirements and student projects.
- Academic and career development counseling: We offer flexible scheduling, customized and individualized support to meet the needs of our employees.
- Annual academic scholarships for employees enrolled in accredited nursing degree programs.
- Opportunities for student nurses: We offer several programs for students enrolled in accredited nursing degree programs.
- Specialty certification support: We encourage nurses to become certified in their specialty by offering certification reimbursement, certification test preparation courses, an annual stipend and programs like Success Pays from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Additional Educational Programs