The HOBSCOTCH (Home-Based Self-Management and Cognitive Training Changes Lives) program helps you find ways to manage and cope with your cognitive challenges so you can lead a happier, more productive life.
Your Cognitive Coach will work with you one-on-one to help you better manage your epilepsy and improve organization and social skills. You will also learn how participating in mindfulness, physical, and pleasant activities can reduce stress and improve your memory and your mood.
How HOBSCOTCH works
The key components of HOBSCOTCH are:
- Education to teach you the basics about memory and how seizures and variables related to epilepsy may impact your memory and thinking.
- Self-awareness training to teach you to be aware of the multiple internal and external influences that may impact memory and thinking.
- Memory strategies to help improve day-to-day cognitive challenges. The HOBSCOTCH Memory Toolbox provides tried and true strategies to help you feel more in control.
- Problem Solving Therapy (PST) to help you identify memory-related challenges in your daily life and find solutions to manage these problems.
- Mindfulness, including progressive muscle relaxation and deep breathing exercises, to help reduce stress and anxiety.
Learn more about HOBSCOTCH
- Frequently asked questions: Learn more about how the HOBSCOTCH Program works, what you need to participate in the program, and whether it's right for you by reading the answers to frequently asked questions.
- Become a participant: Our trained Cognitive Coaches offer the program across the United States. HOBSCOTCH is also available as a telehealth program that is delivered entirely virtually.
- Testimonials: HOBSCOTCH has changed lives, but don’t take our word for it. Read testimonials from HOBSCOTCH participants and Cognitive Coaches.
- Our history: The HOBSCOTCH Institute for Cognitive Health & Well-Being was created in June 2020, under the leadership of Dr. Barbara Jobst and Dr. Elaine Kiriakopoulos, who co-direct the institute.
- Our partners: Our partners support our work in many ways, including hosting our training programs spreading the word about HOBSCOTCH to their organizations, communities, and patients.
Our mission and vision
Our mission is to provide leadership in advancing care. We improve the quality of life for people with cognitive problems. We offer education, research, dissemination, and implementation of self-management programs.
These 3 foundational pillars guide our work:
Program access and growth
We work to improve cognitive health outcomes. Our goal is sustainable support for people affected by cognitive health challenges.
We provide outstanding leadership in:
- Improving health care for people with cognitive problems and epilepsy
- Empowering people to manage their disease
- Educating professionals to help people with cognitive problems and people with epilepsy
- Creating models for self-management and wellness programs
- Conducting research that improves health outcomes and quality of life