Cognitive Coaches are the core of the HOBSCOTCH program.
Cognitive Coaches are trained health professionals who work individually with HOBSCOTCH participants. They guide patients through all 8 sessions. They teach the Problem Solving Therapy (PST) process, and they teach patients to learn strategies that will help them address memory issues in daily life.
Our goal is to train Cognitive Coaches across the country and around the world to make the program widely available in community and healthcare settings.
Who can become a Cognitive Coach?
You can become certified as a Cognitive Coach if you are:
- An Epilepsy Center team member (including neurologists, epilepsy fellows, nurses, social workers, counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and physician assistants)
- A health educator with extensive one-on-one counseling experience and epilepsy knowledge
- A Community health worker who has successfully completed Dartmouth's accredited live, virtual "Overview of Epilepsy and Self-Management" training
HOBSCOTCH has proven to be very beneficial to many clients. [We are] grateful for the opportunity to provide this program to our clients and we look forward to continuing to offer this opportunity to anyone interested.Cognitive Coach
We offer quarterly virtual Cognitive Coach training and certification training. Continuing education credits are provided for trainees who complete the course. Live interactive training is delivered by faculty via Zoom.
HOBSCOTCH training takes 8 hours and is conducted over 2 4-hour half-day sessions, divided into didactic and applied sections. Led by an experienced Cognitive Coach, the training is interactive.
It begins with a comprehensive overview of the theoretical foundation for the program, including PST and Memory and Attention Adaptation Training (MAAT).
Trainees practice under the supervision of an experienced Cognitive Coach.
The cost of the course materials and shipping is $299. There is no fee for continuing education credits.
2024 training dates
To register for Coach Certification training, click the date you would like to attend:
- Course director: Elaine Kiriakopoulos, MD, MSc
- Course coordinator: Trina Dawson, BA, CHW
- Training faculty: Lindsay Schommer, APRN, Lisa Sackett, PhD, and Maureen Quigley, APRN
- Email: MEWprograms@hitchcock.org
Dartmouth-Hitchcock is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Dartmouth-Hitchcock designates this live activity for a maximum of 6.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits.
Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Dartmouth Health's Nursing Continuing Education Council is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This educational activity carries 6.0 contact hours.